Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Coreopsis & Cymbidiums

Malibu is about to burst into color. The torrential rains over the holidays were rough to endure but the pay off is coming. Passing Pt. Dume over the weekend I noted that the giant coreopsis are starting to bloom. By this weekend the point will be blanketed with yellow. It is a dazzling sight and only occurs once a year. The rest of the year the plants are brown and look pretty much like weeds.

I have read that the giant coreopsis that we see on Pt. Dume is only found along the coast from Malibu to San Luis Obispo and on the Channel Islands. By far the most glorious display I have seen is on the Point.

The cymbidiums in the pots on my front patio are also just about to burst forth. Long shoots have sprouted that soon will be covered with exotic blooms.
Somehow my cymbidiums are of several different flavors. The hibiscus and cameilla plants are also flowering.

A drive across Kanan Road will soon be fragrant with the flowers from many varieties of wild flowers. I always roll my windows down and inhale the perfumes that the wind brings into my car.

Winter rains mean plenty of beauty along the coast and canyons of Malibu.

No comments:

Post a Comment